I’ve just finished a week of annual leave, I planned to spend some quality time with Hugo and Sara and do some other things that need doing. It has been a good week all-in-all, so this is a dear diary kind of post.


Went swimming with Sara, some a few friends and their kids. Hugo and I had fun playing with balls and surfboards. We then went for a carvery afterwards - swimming always makes me hungry. I enjoyed having a mothers’ meeting :)

Hugo fell asleep in the car, and when we got back my father-in-law had arrived to spend a few days with us.


We went to Graves Park first thing in the morning, walked through the park and then up to the animals - Hugo didn’t really like the chickens but was more impressed by the goats. We also had a play on the park and a short journey on the “land” train.

Hugo went for a nap and I heard playing outside so I went and entertained the 3 year old twins next door. Lots of running around and being mischievous. It was tiring work.

We went to the Chesterfield medieval market in the afternoon, this was disappointing, there were plenty of neon flashing light ghost trains scattered throughout the town centre, and off to one side, beneath the crooked spire there were three medieval themed stalls (which were all quite interesting). There was also a small battle re-enactment which we missed and a medieval march through time

In the evening I went for a game of squash, which wore me out further.


Sara took Hugo to nursery in the morning, which is something I usually do - giving me the chance to have a lay-in until 9am. I dropped Sara off at work and then went into town to catch-up on a few errands.

My first objective was some business at the bank, unfortunately an ISA transfer needs a specialist member of staff due to how complicated it is, and none were available that day, or the next, or any day that week, for either of the two branches. I’ve had to make an appointment for a Saturday two weeks in the future.

That sorted out, I’d decided to visit the Chesterfield museum & art gallery as I’d never been. The opening hours have recently changed so that it is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday as well as Sunday, so I’ve still never been.

I decided to go to the Market pub for a spot of lunch and half of a perry from a keg on the bar while reading The Last Unicorn from the Humble e-book bundle. That finished I got the ingredients for dinner. I spent about 2 hours preparing and cooking a moussaka which turned out disappointing - my fault.

I got to pick Hugo up from nursery, so got to see him playing and hear about what he’d been up to all day. I much prefer picking him up to dropping him off.


Hugo and I walked down to play group at the local sure start centre. He did enjoy playing but I think his favourite part was snacking on fruit.


Hugo and I went for a trip up to Crich Stand, ~300m above sea level, the Easter-most big Derbyshire hill and so affording distant views to the North, East and South. When we got there there was no access to the tower at the top - a notice just said it was due to “Health & Safety” with no further explanation. Therefore the views of eight counties and to the Humber bridge were limited. It was Hugo’s first trig point though.

A view of green countryside to the horizon
Crich stand - looking South-ish

In the late afternoon Sara and I went into Sheffield for a meal at The Italian Kitchen, the meal was tasty and reasonably priced. A short walk up and down Ecclesall Road was needed afterwards before we went to pick Hugo up and then spend an evening with my parents.


We went swimming, Hugo has never liked lying on his back and especially so when in water. However his recent trick of trying to keep one ear in the water as I pull him around has morphed into lying on his back in the water.

In the afternoon we had a lovely visit to Northern Tea Merchants for afternoon tea - delicious as ever.


Hugo and I went to the Peak Rail 1940s weekend. There were steam trains, WW2 equipment on display, 1940s vehicles and a WW2 battle reenactment. Hugo enjoyed sticking his head out of the window on the train (there were only two signs above the window saying no heads out of windows).

He wasn’t too interested in the battle reenactment. He jumped at the initial loud simulated bomb explosions when other children nearby started crying. Dropping the last quaver did cause him to start getting noisy, thankfully the enactment had finished by then.

I videod part of the WW2 re-enactment.